Friday 4 September 2009

Manga review: Marmalade Boy

Already my second review xD Just finished Marmalade Boy and liked it^^

Marmalade Boy
Marmalade Boy is a shoujo romance-comedy manga by Wataru Yoshizumi.

Story:

Two couples decide t
o get divorced and swap partners with another couple, then marry again. Sounds hilarious? Yeah, it is hilarious, but also very funny. Not only the adults, but also their children, Miki and Yuu, fall in love with each other. There are lots of the typical shoujo stuff, but also comedical and sad moments. I liked the story and the humor^^

Characters:
The main characters
are Miki and her new stepbrother Yuu. They didn´t like each other when they first met, but later fell in love. There are lots of supporting characters, like Meiko (Miki´s friend), Ginta (Miki had a crush on him), Namura (a teacher at Miki´s school and Meiko´s lover). I think the cast is very nice. The characters are all very likable.

Art:
I like the mangaka´s art style. The sad scenes are well-drawn, but also the funny scenes^^ In my opinion, her style looks sometimes a bit like Rumiko Takahashi´s. Especially Yuu reminds my of Ranma 1/2.

My opinion:
At the first look, Marmalade Boy seems to be a typical shoujo story. But it´s more than this. I loved the mix of serious and funny scenes. I would recommend this manga to every shoujo fan. But fans of other genres should give it a try, too^^

No comments: